State looks to slash train travel times
George Orwell
2008-02-06 12:07:16 UTC
get real you fuckwits its a fucking waste of money

build better roads!!!!!!!

https://www.mixmaster.it
Anonymous
2008-02-06 12:05:07 UTC
get real you fuckwits its a fucking waste of money

build better roads!!!!!!!
Anonymous Sender
2008-02-06 13:05:12 UTC
get real you fuckwits its a fucking waste of money

build better roads!!!!!!!
Borked Pseudo Mailed
2008-02-06 13:29:52 UTC
fuck off sylvia everybody knows trains are slow and expensive

fucking waste of taxpayer dollars
Sylvia Else
2008-02-06 21:22:19 UTC
Post by George Orwell
get real you fuckwits its a fucking waste of money
build better roads!!!!!!!
There are 200 km/h or even 160 km/h roads anywhere in the world?

Sylvia.
https://www.mixmaster.it
Petzl
2008-02-06 22:16:02 UTC
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 08:22:19 +1100, Sylvia Else
Post by Sylvia Else
Post by George Orwell
get real you fuckwits its a fucking waste of money
build better roads!!!!!!!
There are 200 km/h or even 160 km/h roads anywhere in the world?
There are trains in Australia that do this speed?

<http://sarahkidd.blogspot.com/2006/06/marathon-man-faster-than-sydney-train.html>
And he stopped at intersections to cross on the green "Walk Now"
pedestrian lights

Already the subsidies to run CityRail are into billions of dollars a
year. Making it plausable and competitive to pay commuters $100 a day
not to use cityrail and dig these tracks up turning them into tollways

Petzl
--
LET'S LOOK OUT FOR AUSTRALIA
Terror hotline gets 71,000 calls per annum
Protecting our way of life from terrorist threat
David Bennetts
2008-02-07 00:14:16 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
There are 200 km/h or even 160 km/h roads anywhere in the world?
Yes - German autobahns don't generally have mandatory speed limits.
Post by Petzl
There are trains in Australia that do this speed?
There were trains regularly doing 160 km/h but not currently.
Post by Petzl
<http://sarahkidd.blogspot.com/2006/06/marathon-man-faster-than-sydney-train.html>
And he stopped at intersections to cross on the green "Walk Now"
pedestrian lights
Already the subsidies to run CityRail are into billions of dollars a
year. Making it plausable and competitive to pay commuters $100 a day
not to use cityrail and dig these tracks up turning them into tollways
Where's your monorail gone Petzdill?
Post by Petzl
Petzl
--
LET'S LOOK OUT FOR AUSTRALIA
Terror hotline gets 71,000 calls per annum
And I'd bet most of them are from fruitloops.

David Bennetts
Sylvia Else
2008-02-07 02:00:12 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
There are 200 km/h or even 160 km/h roads anywhere in the world?
Yes - German autobahns don't generally have mandatory speed limits.
They have a recommended speed though, of 130km/h. The fact that they
don't have speed limits could hardly be used to argue that they are
1000km/h roads.

Sylvia.
Atheist Chaplain
2008-02-07 02:23:49 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
There are 200 km/h or even 160 km/h roads anywhere in the world?
Yes - German autobahns don't generally have mandatory speed limits.
They have a recommended speed though, of 130km/h. The fact that they don't
have speed limits could hardly be used to argue that they are 1000km/h
roads.
have you recently been to Germany Sylvia, I was over there with a friend a
few short years ago and while there are lots of areas on the Autobahns that
are 130 kph there are still sections that are TRUE unlimited, we were in a
little hire car Ford Focus, valve bouncing down the road at 160kph and
regularly being overtaken by a variety of cars doing 200++
and not once did I see an accident. The BIG difference is education, the
current drivers tests in all states of Australia is an international joke!
Germans are by training, polite and they obey the rules, one of those being,
no matter how fast you are going, always stick to the left lane unless
overtaking, then as soon as is practical, get back in the left lane. and the
logic behind this is, while you may be going fast, there is always someone
faster behind you.

to get back on topic, I think we should be upgrading and expanding the rail
system all over the state, make it cheap and eventually we will remove the
large trucks from the road, making them cheaper to maintain and safer to
drive on.
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?
Bernd Felsche
2008-02-07 02:41:54 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
Post by Sylvia Else
There are 200 km/h or even 160 km/h roads anywhere in the world?
Yes - German autobahns don't generally have mandatory speed limits.
They have a recommended speed though, of 130km/h. The fact that they
don't have speed limits could hardly be used to argue that they are
1000km/h roads.
300 km/h is feasible under the right conditions in some places.
400 km/h probably fatal.

A few years ago, I read that the 85th percentile speed was around
150 km/h and the 50th percentile about 130. i.e. about half the
traffic moved at speeds up to 130 km/h (includes heavy vehicles that
are restricted to "80")!) and a half were quicker.

The reason why most people don't drive at insane speeds is because
most drivers are fairly sane. The licensing and offence-management
process ensures that the "nutters" lose their licence and then can't
get it back until a shrink has certified them fit for traffic.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | Great minds discuss ideas;
X against HTML mail | Average minds discuss events;
/ \ and postings | Small minds discuss people. -- Eleanor Roosevelt
Sylvia Else
2008-02-07 03:02:57 UTC
Post by Bernd Felsche
Post by Sylvia Else
Post by Sylvia Else
There are 200 km/h or even 160 km/h roads anywhere in the world?
Yes - German autobahns don't generally have mandatory speed limits.
They have a recommended speed though, of 130km/h. The fact that they
don't have speed limits could hardly be used to argue that they are
1000km/h roads.
300 km/h is feasible under the right conditions in some places.
I can't imagine it being at all safe unless the road ahead empty of
other traffic and sufficiently straight that the emptiness is visible.
Changing lanes would be a nightmare if something can be coming up behind
at a relative speed of 200km/h.
Post by Bernd Felsche
400 km/h probably fatal.
A few years ago, I read that the 85th percentile speed was around
150 km/h and the 50th percentile about 130. i.e. about half the
traffic moved at speeds up to 130 km/h (includes heavy vehicles that
are restricted to "80")!) and a half were quicker.
I've only driven on German autobahns on a couple of occasions. I tried
going up to the posted limit(may be it was only advisory, but anyway) of
140 on the first occasion, but it really felt too fast to be safe.
Admittedly it was night with no lighting, and that may have been part of
the reason. 120 felt much better. On the second occasion, in daylight,
there was too much traffic anyway.

I drove at 135 for a short while (illegally) in the UK on an otherwise
deserted but lit stretch of the M4. It felt OK, but since the car was
flat out, I was concerned for the health of the engine ;)

I'd be happy to see our Australian freeway limits increased to 130, at
least on some stretches.

Sylvia.
Atheist Chaplain
2008-02-07 07:34:05 UTC
Post by Bernd Felsche
Post by Sylvia Else
Post by Bernd Felsche
[...]
the F4 was specifically designed with a 130 limit in mind, though now days
80 is sometimes unsafe.
While I would like to see an increase in the speed limit in some areas I
would first introduce tougher driving testing and training and design and
build roads to minimize accidents. Unfortunately none of the current Govts
have a clue about how to actually reduce the road toll, and introduce
increasingly draconian laws that only increase revenue.
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?
David Johnson
2008-02-27 14:48:43 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
I drove at 135 for a short while (illegally) in the UK on an otherwise
deserted but lit stretch of the M4. It felt OK, but since the car was
flat out, I was concerned for the health of the engine ;)
mph or kmh?
--
---
When uncertain, or in doubt, run in circles and scream.

David Johnson
usenet.at.trainman.id.au
http://www.trainman.id.au
------------------------------------
These comments are made in a private
capacity and do not represent the
official view of RailCorp.
Sylvia Else

Sylvia.
Bernd Felsche
2008-02-29 00:07:07 UTC
Post by David Johnson
Post by Sylvia Else
I drove at 135 for a short while (illegally) in the UK on an otherwise
deserted but lit stretch of the M4. It felt OK, but since the car was
flat out, I was concerned for the health of the engine ;)
mph or kmh?
km/h.
The cars was flat out at 135 km/h?

Maybe you should've taken it out of 2nd gear.
Sylvia Else
2008-02-29 00:31:08 UTC
Post by Bernd Felsche
Post by David Johnson
Post by Sylvia Else
I drove at 135 for a short while (illegally) in the UK on an otherwise
deserted but lit stretch of the M4. It felt OK, but since the car was
flat out, I was concerned for the health of the engine ;)
mph or kmh?
km/h.
The cars was flat out at 135 km/h?
Maybe you should've taken it out of 2nd gear.
It was a Chrysler Avenger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Avenger

At less than 1300cc, it's no real surprise that its top speed was only
15mph more than the UK motorway speed limit. It was adequate for the
task of getting me to and from work. I wouldn't have wanted to take it
mountain touring.

As a sign of the times, it came with wiring in the loom for reversing
lights and sockets for them, but no bulbs, and no gearbox switch. I
retrofitted it, which involved screwing the switch into the gear box,
attaching the spade connectors from the loom, and putting bulbs into the
sockets. I can only conclude that the only reason they were omitted form
the basic model was to allow them to be a feature of the deluxe.

Sylvia.
Pits
Look m Sylvia stop x posting or trim your headers you fuckwit .
Is Don Is Nobody Important
It's a free country you fuckwit.
Petzl
2008-02-07 02:16:07 UTC
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:14:16 +1100, "David Bennetts"
Post by David Bennetts
Post by Petzl
<http://sarahkidd.blogspot.com/2006/06/marathon-man-faster-than-sydney-train.html>
And he stopped at intersections to cross on the green "Walk Now"
pedestrian lights
Already the subsidies to run CityRail are into billions of dollars a
year. Making it plausable and competitive to pay commuters $100 a day
not to use cityrail and dig these tracks up turning them into tollways
Where's your monorail gone Petzdill?
<http://home.iprimus.com.au/petzl/Mono.htm>
Still there and capable of being built over the rails that need
digging up. They are also fully automatic getting rid of the major
problem CityRail have (It's staff not the trains)
<http://www.hitachi-rail.com/products/monorail_system/specification/index.html>
Doug Jewell
2008-02-07 11:33:22 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
Post by George Orwell
get real you fuckwits its a fucking waste of money
build better roads!!!!!!!
There are 200 km/h or even 160 km/h roads anywhere in the world?
There are trains in Australia that do this speed?
The Tilt-Trains in QLD regularly ran 160km/hr until the
accident at Bundaberg. They are currently speed-limited to
100km/hr, but should be able to go back to 160km/hr soon.
ICE units between Gold Coast and Brisbane and on the North
Coast run 130km/hr. Quite a bit faster than what can be
achieved (legally) on the road.
John Hudson
2008-02-07 13:11:53 UTC
The Tilt-Trains in QLD regularly ran 160km/hr until the accident at
Bundaberg. They are currently speed-limited to 100km/hr, but should be
able to go back to 160km/hr soon.
ICE units between Gold Coast and Brisbane and on the North Coast run
130km/hr. Quite a bit faster than what can be achieved (legally) on the
road.
You're a little behind the times, Doug. The QR tilt trains went back to 160
kph running in June last year. When I caught the CTT in July we touched 160
somewhere north of Bundy.
Huddo
George Orwell
2008-02-07 09:16:57 UTC
yeah build faster roads and scrap all the trains!!!!!

https://www.mixmaster.it
Anonymous Sender
2008-02-08 13:15:03 UTC
scrap the lot and build better roads!