Roco HO-scale MZ diesel with LokSound decoders - anyone have one?
C. Dewick
2008-01-13 02:14:14 UTC
Hi since the company I work for here in Sydney Australia (Independent Rail -
www.mistrail.com) has a whole stack of the ex-DSB series-3 MZ-class diesel
locos I'm looking to buy one (or more) of Roco's excellent-looking series-2
HO scale MZ models which have the in-build LokSound DCC decoders and I was
wondering if anyone frequenting these newsgroups has either that version or
the version with the standard DCC decoder fitted?

I've had some limited experience with the LokSound decoders and I think
they're an excellent product which eats any of the SoundTrax, etc. decoders
for breakfast. 8-) Can't comment any of the QSI sound stuff at the moment.

My plan is to modify the locos to look like the series-3 ones, perhape
re-painting them silver like ours are and maybe even arranging to have
special Independent Rail logo decals made up. If any of you frequent my
railway image collections on flick.com or railzone.org you'll have seen
plenty of pictures of the MZ's from my day-to-day involvement with them, so
I think they'd make a very interesting subject for Australian-prototype
'conversion'!

Regards,

Craig.
--
Craig Dewick - HO-Scale Railway Modeller and Professional Train Manager at
http://lios.apana.org.au/~craigd or ***@lios.apana.org.au if you're game!
Klaus D. Mikkelsen
2008-01-13 09:19:01 UTC
Post by C. Dewick
Hi since the company I work for here in Sydney Australia (Independent Rail -
www.mistrail.com) has a whole stack of the ex-DSB series-3 MZ-class diesel
locos I'm looking to buy one (or more) of Roco's excellent-looking series-2
HO scale MZ models which have the in-build LokSound DCC decoders and I was
wondering if anyone frequenting these newsgroups has either that version or
the version with the standard DCC decoder fitted?
I have testdriven both the Roco and the hobbytrade MZ's
(http://www.hobbytrade.dk/dk/produkter/lokomotiver/mz/mz.shtml)

The both run very smooth and has a lot of traction power (like the 1:1
"models").
Post by C. Dewick
I've had some limited experience with the LokSound decoders and I think
they're an excellent product which eats any of the SoundTrax, etc. decoders
for breakfast. 8-) Can't comment any of the QSI sound stuff at the moment.
The loksound decoders are great - but the sound in the Roco version is
not quite the correct sound. It is here that hobbytrade has the
advantage. They have recorded actual sounds og MZ's and done a very nice
job squeezing it into the loksound decoder - their sound files are not
for download anywhere.
Post by C. Dewick
My plan is to modify the locos to look like the series-3 ones, perhape
re-painting them silver like ours are and maybe even arranging to have
special Independent Rail logo decals made up. If any of you frequent my
railway image collections on flick.com or railzone.org you'll have seen
plenty of pictures of the MZ's from my day-to-day involvement with them, so
I think they'd make a very interesting subject for Australian-prototype
'conversion'!
Do you have a direct link to those pictures?
I subscribe to a danish newsgroup, where we are interested in what
happens to "our" MZ's in Australia....

Klaus
Modeltog, internet, gratis spambekæmpelse, elektronik og andet:
http://home6.inet.tele.dk/moppe
Nu også med Renault elektronik som speciale.........
Damon Kelly
2008-01-13 13:39:09 UTC
I'll second the recommendation for the HobbyTrade locos - I have the MZ
Series 4 (3-rail "AC" version with sound). I bought it from Kystbanen in
Copenhagen, and they agreed that the sound was the most accurate of the
available models. It drives very smoothly, and pulls well.

The sound files _were_ briefly available from the ESU web-site, but then
disappeared. I downloaded them in time ;).

I agree that the ESU decoder is a fine unit -- ESU's LokProgrammer is an
excellent way to program the decoders.

Cheers,
Damon
Klaus
Klaus D. Mikkelsen
2008-01-13 15:04:15 UTC
Post by Damon Kelly
The sound files _were_ briefly available from the ESU web-site, but then
disappeared. I downloaded them in time ;).
I know, but i didn't get them before they were gone - Perhaps you would
be so kin to send them to me by email ?

My address is moppe(at)post6.tele.dk
Post by Damon Kelly
I agree that the ESU decoder is a fine unit -- ESU's LokProgrammer is an
excellent way to program the decoders.
I use a SPROg interface and JMRI for programming
http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/

c***@gmail.com
2008-01-13 21:57:15 UTC
On Jan 13, 8:19 pm, "Klaus D. Mikkelsen"
Post by Klaus D. Mikkelsen
Post by C. Dewick
Hi since the company I work for here in Sydney Australia (Independent Rail -
www.mistrail.com) has a whole stack of the ex-DSB series-3 MZ-class diesel
locos I'm looking to buy one (or more) of Roco's excellent-looking series-2
HO scale MZ models which have the in-build LokSound DCC decoders and I was
wondering if anyone frequenting these newsgroups has either that version or
the version with the standard DCC decoder fitted?
I have testdriven both the Roco and the hobbytrade MZ's
(http://www.hobbytrade.dk/dk/produkter/lokomotiver/mz/mz.shtml)
Posting this from my gmail account... I didn't know there was another
company making models of the MZ's. Will have to check out the
HobbyTrade ones and see how they compare to the Roco product.

If HobbyTrade are producing series-3 or series-4 models they're
probably better since the ones we have here are the series-3's with
the 20-cylinder 645 series engine (btw 1429 broke it's engine
crankshaft recently!) and the bodies are a bit different from the
series 1 and 2 Mz's based on all the pics I've been researching.

The HEP generators are all disconnected as we don't use them. The
locos were overhauled below floor level and the bogies all re-geared
for freight working before they were shipped out to Australia, and
some of the more mechanically-minded people at our company have done a
heap of work modifying cabs, etc. to suit local accreditation
requirements. Much of the control equipment is still labelled in
Danish and a lot of the switches and buttons in the cabs are not used,
though I'm slowly figuring out what everything does when I get a
chance to examine the locos during downtime.
Post by C. Dewick
I've had some limited experience with the LokSound decoders and I think
they're an excellent product which eats any of the SoundTrax, etc. decoders
for breakfast. 8-) Can't comment any of the QSI sound stuff at the moment.
The loksound decoders are great - but the sound in the Roco version is
not quite the correct sound. It is here that hobbytrade has the
advantage. They have recorded actual sounds og MZ's and done a very nice
job squeezing it into the loksound decoder - their sound files are not
for download anywhere.
Oh that's quite dedicated of them - seems like a good way to go in
order to get proper authentic audio sound bytes, etc.
Post by Klaus D. Mikkelsen
Post by C. Dewick
My plan is to modify the locos to look like the series-3 ones, perhape
re-painting them silver like ours are and maybe even arranging to have
special Independent Rail logo decals made up. If any of you frequent my
railway image collections on flick.com or railzone.org you'll have seen
plenty of pictures of the MZ's from my day-to-day involvement with them, so
I think they'd make a very interesting subject for Australian-prototype
'conversion'!
Do you have a direct link to those pictures?
I subscribe to a danish newsgroup, where we are interested in what
happens to "our" MZ's in Australia....
No problem. The pics are mostly in this album:

http://www.railzone.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=10540

at the RailZone Australia website (http://www.railzone.org is the main
URL). I've also upload some of them to flickr.com, which is where I've
found some pics of the MZ's from when they were still in Denmark:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zonavar/sets/72157603322211964/

Feel free to share the link(s) around with anyone else who is
interested.

Regards,

Craig.

--
Craig Dewick - HO-Scale Railway Modeller and Professional Train
Manager at
http://lios.apana.org.au/~craigd or ***@lios.apana.org.au if you're
game!
More good stuff at RailZone Australia - http://www.railzone.org - No